The Supreme Court Museum was created in 1998 on the eightieth anniversary of the Supreme Court Senate. The foundation of the museum was greatly facilitated by Dietrich Andrejs Lebers, the son of the Senator Augusts Lebers, both by donating valuable objects and documents from his father’s archive and by providing financial support via the August Leber Memorial Foundation to set up the Museum.
The museum contains historical evidence and documents dating back to 1918. These testify to the beginnings of the Supreme Court Senate and the opening of the Palace of Justice on December 9, 1938. Materials containing evidence of the changes to the judicial system introduced by occupation powers and the fates of its Senators during the Soviet period, their historical heritage, are collected.
In 2005, when the 15th anniversary of the restoration of the Latvian Supreme Court was celebrated, the museum was supplemented with and exhibition about the period from the national Awakening to the present time. Separate stands are devoted to the events of 1990, restoration of the three-instance court system in 1995, as well as activities of the Rehabilitation Division. The display includes historic decisions of the Supreme Council and the Plenary Session of the Supreme Court, the initial Supreme Court reorganization project, a rehabilitation certificate, and other items. Gvido Zemribo, the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, significantly contributed to development of the exhibition.
In 2009 when celebrating the ninetieth anniversary of the Senate in Latvia the Museum collection on the history of the Senate of Latvia was expanded, and a brochure “The Senators. The Senate of Latvia, 1918-1940” was published. Relatives of former senators Mintauts Cakste, Teodors Bergtals, Janis Ankravs, Voldemars Zamuels, Jekabs Grots, Janis Skudre visited the Supreme Court.
The materials from the collection of the Supreme Court Museum were used to produce the video-film “Yesterday and Today. The 95th Anniversary of the Latvian Senate”. It was produced by the Supreme Court in cooperation with Kursas TV in 2013, to mark the 95th anniversary of the Senate of Latvia.
Every year more than 50 guided tours are conducted for foreign delegation, students, school pupils, exile Latvians, lawyers, architects and other interested persons. The museum is open to the public on the days the Supreme Court holds an open house. At other times, anyone interested the past and the future of the Latvian courts may visit the Supreme Court museum by appointment. To make an appointment, please call the Division of Communication at +371 67020396.
More about the Supreme Court Museum
- Granddaughter of Senator Augusts Rumpeters gives her book to Supreme Court Museum (14.11.2017)
- Exhibition on History of the Chambers of the Supreme Court (16.12.2016)
- The Supreme Court Donates Stand of Old Photographs to Riga Regional Court (11.11.2016)
- Exhibition about 10 Years of the Themis Award of the Supreme Court is Created (21.12.2015)
- Judge Skultane presents her robe of a Judge of the Constitutional Court to the Museum (25.11.2015)
- Great-Grandson of Vladimirs Bukovskis visits the Museum of the Supreme Court (21.10.2015)
- Zemribo presents Manuscript of Historical Document to the Museum of the Supreme Court (21.10.2015)
- An Exhibition dedicated to August Loeber is opened in the Supreme Court (08.09.2015)
- Story about Janis Skudre, the Senator of the Senate of Latvia is published in a Book (20.10.2014)
- The Supreme Court calls to restore historical title of the Senate (21.02.2014)
- On the 95th anniversary of the Senate of Latvia its legacy – succession, judicature and understanding of judge’s mission in legal state – is stressed (20.12.2013)
- The Faculty of Law of Moscow State University congratulates the Supreme Court on anniversary of the Senate (20.12.2013)
- Exhibit of the Museum of the Supreme Court – senator’s family tree – is used in the lecture about Voldemars Zamuels (23.05.2013)
- The Supreme Court has strengthened society’s trust to search for justice in Latvia (21.11.2011)
- Gvido Zemribo, the first chief justice of the Supreme Court, is awarded with the Order of Three Stars (03.11.2011)
- In remembrance of deported and perished senators of Latvia’s Senate (14.06.2011)
- Family tree of the senator and first chief prosecutor Voldemars Zamuels has been presented to the Supreme Court (15.06.2010)
- In the afternoon of memories role of the Supreme Court in processes of restoration of independence of Latvian State has been remembered (19.05.2010)
- The employees of the Supreme Court receive memory medals for participants of Barricades (26.01.2010)
- The daughter of Senator Mintauts Cakste is on the visit in the Supreme Court (10.03.2009)
- A memorial place to the Senator Teodors Bergtals opened in the museum (26.12.2008)
- The responsibility of the Supreme Court and the judges discussed during the 90th anniversary of the Senate (22.12.2008)
- Recollection of the activities of the Latvian National Front Group in the Supreme Court (08.10.2008)
- Commemoration of the Senator Skudre opens the 90th anniversary of the Latvian judiciary (21.07.2008)
- Memorial plaque opened to Senator Janis Skudre of the independent Latvia (02.08.2007)
Historical exhibition of the Supreme Court is displayed in the basement of the Supreme Court building. The entrance to the basement is through an extremely heavy iron door. According to rumours, it was planned to build bomb shelter there in Soviet period
Dietrich Andrejs Lebers with his grandson at the Supreme Court signing the guest book of the Supreme Court
Andris Gulans, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, at new museum exhibition opening in October, 2005
In October 2015, during his visit to the Supreme Court, the great grandson of Vladimirs Bukovskis, senator of the Latvian Senate, Igors Bukovskis and Ivars Bickovics, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court compares two treasures – two exemplars of Civil Code of 1937 forged in silver. The State President Karlis Ulmanis presented thirteen such copies to developers of Civil Code. The Supreme Court has the copy given to Augusts Lebers, but family of Bukovskis keeps copy once given to Vladimirs Bukovskis.