Commercial Law in Baltic Legal Space – conference dedicated to the 150th anniversary of August Loeber
Time and venue of the Conference
11 September 2015, Conference Hall of the University of Latvia
Acknowledging rich heritage of Latvian legal system, which may serve as inspiration for new ideas, the Supreme Court, in cooperation with the Faculty of Law and the journal “Jurista Vārds” (“Lawyer’s Word”) organised a conference “Commercial Law in Baltic Legal Space” dedicated to the 150th anniversary of the senator August Loeber, one of founders of Latvian legal system and civil law.
Looking back to contribution of the Baltic German lawyer and the Doctor of law August Loeber (1865–1948) to Latvian legal system in general, and to update the subject the professor was particularly fond of – trade law, which is now known as commercial law.
The organizers of the conference
The Supreme Court of Latvia in cooperation with University of Latvia Faculty of Law and publishers "Jurista Vards".
The organizers point out extensive importance of August Loeber in Latvian legal space. He was one of those lawyers, who stood at the cradle of development of Latvian legal system. In 1918-1938, August Loeber had been the senator of the Senate, the highest court instance of the Republic of Latvia. Along with judicial duties, he was a founder and the first temporary Dean of the Faculty of National Economy and Law of the University of Latvia, and the professor in trade law. August Loeber participated in elaboration of the Civil Law, Law on Bills and other legal provisions. Social activity of August Loeber and his contribution to field of legal literature was also comprehensive.
Observing the fact that August Loeber always looked at development of Latvian legal system in broader – Baltic context – and actively participated in projects on unification of law of Baltic States, judges of Supreme Court of Estonia and Lithuania are also invited to participate at the conference.
Programme of the Conference
- Dr.iur. Kristine STRADA-ROZENBERGA, professor, Director of the Centre of Continuing Education and Professional Development at the Faculty of Law of the University of Latvia
- Ivars BICKOVICS, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court
TOPICAL ISSUES OF COMMERCIAL LAW OF THE BALTIC STATES
Moderator Edite VERNUSA, the Chair of the Department of Civil Cases of the Supreme Court
Invalidation of decisions of shareholders: theory and case-law (presentation in Latvian)
- Aigars STRUPISS, the judge of the Department of Civil Cases of the Supreme Court of Latvia
Some aspects of recent practice of the Supreme Court of Lithuania in the field of contract law (presentation)
- Dr.iur. Gediminas SAGATYS, the judge of the Civil Division of the Supreme Court of Lithuania
Interaction between CMR and Estonian domestic law in the case-law of the Supreme Court of Estonia (presentation)
- Jaana LINTS,the adviser to the Civil Chamber of the Supreme Court of Estonia
Non-pecuniary damage to legal person (presentation in Latvian)
- Dr. iur. Zane PETERSONE, the judge of the Department of Civil Cases of the Supreme Court of Latvia
LOEBER’S FAMILY IN LATVIAN LEGAL SYSTEM
Moderator – Dr.iur. Janis PLEPS, the Head of the Department of Theory of Law and History Sciences of the Faculty of Law of the University of Latvia, the adviser to the President of the State on constitutional law
Work of August Loeber at the University of Latvia
- Dr. iur. Edvins DANOVSKIS, the lecturer of the Department of State Law of the Faculty of Law of the University of Latvia
Contribution of the Baltic Germans to legal culture of newly established State of Latvia (presentation in Latvian)
- Dina GAILITE, the editor-in-chief of the journal “Jurista Vards”
Baltic legal space
- Dr. iur. Janis LAZDINS, the professor of the Department of Theory of Law and History Sciences of the Faculty of Law of the University of Latvia
Involvement of Dietrich Andre Loeber in restoration of Latvian legal system (presentation in Latvian)
- Signe TERIHOVA, the lawyer of the Department of Legal Information and Publishing of the Court House Agency
More about the Conference
- International conference on commercial law is dedicated to August Loeber, the founder of Latvian trade law. Information by the Supreme Court, 10.09.2015.
- 150 years of August Loeber – the founder of Latvian trade law.Jurista Vārds, 08.09.2015., No.35 (887) (in Latvian language).
Lecturers of Session I of the Conference: Zane Petersone, Edite Vernusa, Aigars Strupiss, Jaana Lints and Gediminas Sagatys
Lecturers of Session II of the Conference: Dina Gailite, Signe Terihova, Edvins Danovskis, Janis Pleps and Janis Lazdins
Chief Justices of Supreme Courts of three Baltic States: (from the left) Estonia - Priit Pikamäe, Latvia - Ivars Bickovics, Lithuania - Rimvydas Norkus